PEARL, Miss. – The No. 4 Ole Miss baseball team used a six-run second inning to cruise to an 11-3 midweek win over No. 12 Southern Miss.
The Rebels improved to 28-6 overall and remain a perfect 10-0 in midweek games this season. Ole Miss has now won four straight against the Golden Eagles, including both contests in 2018.
Houston Roth struck out seven batters in five innings of work to earn his fifth win of the season. Roth, a sophomore from Oxford, Mississippi, has now struck out 19 in his last 14.1 innings of work.
After back-to-back singles from Cole Zabowski and Will Golsan to start the second inning, Tyler Keenan got the scoring started for the Rebels, singling through the right side to score Zabowski. Junior Chase Cockrell then sent an 0-2 breaking ball over the left field wall fourth homer of the season to give Ole Miss an early 4-0 lead that it wouldn’t let up.
Thomas Dillard capped the six-run frame with a two-run single to push the Rebel lead to 6-0.
Dillard picked up this third RBI of the game in the top of the fourth inning, scoring Nick Fortes all the way from first base. As the throw from the center fielder came casually back into second base, Fortes raced around third to score and put Ole Miss up 7-0.
Southern Miss put together a three-run rally in the fifth inning to trim the deficit to 7-3, but Ryan Olenek and Jacob Adams combined to throw out the Golden Eagles’ Hunter Slater trying to stretch an RBI double into a triple, to end the inning.
Ole Miss added an insurance run in the eighth and three more in the ninth to run away for a 11-3 win.
Keenan, the two-time reigning SEC Freshman of the Week, finished with three of Ole Miss’ 14 hits, including an RBI and two runs scored. Dillard, Zabowski and Cockrell all finished with two hits to lead the Rebels.
Ole Miss turns its attention back to SEC play as the Rebels travel to Nashville this weekend to take on No. 14 Vanderbilt Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Sunday’s series finale will be televised on ESPNU.
For all Ole Miss Baseball news and information, visit the official athletics site OleMissSports.com. For more social media updates, follow the Rebels on Twitter at @OleMissBSB, on Facebook at Ole Miss Baseball and on Instagram at olemissbsb.
– Ole Miss swept the two-game series vs. Southern Miss this season.
– Ole Miss now holds a 76-50 advantage over Southern Miss in the series history.
– Ole Miss’ 28 wins are the second-most in the NCAA behind only Florida (29).
– The Rebels have tallied 14 or more hits in three straight games.
– Ole Miss scored double-figure runs for the seventh time this season.
– All nine Rebel starters reached base, eight of whom had a hit.
– Five Rebels—Tyler Keenan (3), Thomas Dillard (2), Chase Cockrell (2), Cole Zabowski (2) and Will Golsan (2) recorded multi-hit days.
– With a single in the second inning, Ryan Olenek extended his hitting streak to 12 straight games. He’s reached base safely in 14 contests in a row.
– Starting pitcher Houston Roth pitched a career-high 5.1 innings and tied a career-high with seven strikeouts.
– Tyler Keenan, who won SEC Freshman of the Week honors for the second straight week, continues to swing a hot bat, posting his third three-hit game of the season.
– Sophomore reliever Austin Miller went more than two innings for the third time this season, allowing no hits and striking out one over 2.1 innings.